Officers in the First World War
In this activity, you will develop an understanding of officers in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War by examining the correspondence of officers in the 118th Battalion.
- At your computer, navigate to the Waterloo at War website and read the article on officers in the 118th Battalion: http://www.waterlooatwar.ca/2015/11/04/the-officers/.
- Click on this document and scroll down to page 26. Read the hand-written text on pages 26 – 28 and answer the following questions about who officers were in civilian life:
- What jobs do these men leave to enter the war?
- What kind of language do they use?
- How eager are they to be officers?
- What did the officers think of the enlisted men under them?
- How do the commanding officers talk about the potential officers?